What is SEENPM?
The South East European Network for Professionalization of Media (SEENPM)is a network of 18 media centres and institutes across 12 countries of Central and South Eastern Europe.
SEENPM promotes excellence in journalism through policy initiatives, research and training. It aims to protect and defend freedom of the press, support the development of independent media and journalism professional standards, and strengthen relations among journalists.
Since its establishment in February 2000, SEENPM has conducted a wide range of media research and analysis projects often followed by advocacy initiatives. In addition, the network and its members have provided training and reporting opportunities to numerous media professionals.
SEENPM´s Vision is that of a Central and Southeast Europe where free, independent and professional media strengthens freedom of expression as a cornerstone of democracy in a united and diverse Europe.
We believe that societies that fail to respect freedom of expression as a fundamental right and robust journalism as a key component of democratic processes are bound to lose out on social, political, cultural and economic development.
- To help improve the skills of media professionals
- To embed media freedom and independence in the public and policy-making agenda through advocacy based on credible media monitoring, research and analysis
- To influence journalism education curricula
- To strengthen the capacity of media professionals to defend and protect their professional autonomy and labour rights
- To promote media self-regulation, editorial independence and ethical conduct
- To improve media legislation and other laws affecting media
- To monitor the implementation of access to information and media legislation
- To promote policies that safeguard media independence
- To promote the right to Freedom of Expression
- To support initiatives on media and information literacy and help create spaces for dialogue between the public and the media
- To cooperate with international organizations in advancing media issues in the region
SEENPM focuses on:
- Safeguarding of the right to freedom of expression, in its multi-faceted manifestations and the development of an environment where freedom of expression is recognized as a basic human right.
- Promoting digital rights, a field where technological advances are rapid and the risk of disparities in access to and the use of new media is high.
- Addressing media and information literacy, as large segments of the population in the region have only limited capacity to access and critically interpret media content and articulate demands for quality and accountable media.
- Supporting media accountability and professionalism, including through media educationandlabour rights, with a view to enabling the media to fulfil its public service role.
- Strengthening its advocacy work to emerging as a strong regional voice in support of media integrity, which in SEENPM’s view should not be just a matter of professional interest for journalists, but an issue in which whole societies and the international community have a stake.
SEENPM is a member of IFEX and the Global Forum for Media Development (GFMD).
Albanian Media Institute, Tirana, Albania
Center for Independent Journalism, Bucharest, Romania
Center for Independent Journalism, Budapest, Hungary
Independent Journalism Center, Chisinau, Moldova
Investigative Journalism Center, Croatia
IPS Communication Foundation / bianet.org , Istanbul, Turkey
Kosovo Media Institute, Kosovo*
Macedonian Institute For Media, Skopje, Macedonia
Media Center, Belgrade, Serbia
Media CenterCaglavica, Kosovo*
Media Center, Nis, Serbia
Mediacentar, Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina
Media Development Center, Sofia, Bulgaria
Media Plan Institute, Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina
Montenegro Media Institute, Podgorica, Montenegro
Novi Sad School of Journalism, Novi Sad, Serbia
Peace Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Platform for Independent Journalism (P24), Istanbul, Turkey
More about each member organization is available in the Member Profiles section.
Over the years, SEENPM has been supported by a variety of donor organisations, including:
Open Society Foundations
Danish Government/International Media Support
Balkan Trust for Democracy
Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
Konrad Adenauer Stiftung