Media companies, nonprofit organizations, freelancers and staff journalists can enter a competition.
The categories are:
- data visualization of the year,
- investigation of the year,
- news data app of the year,
- data journalism website of the year,
- best use of data in a breaking news story,
- open data award,
- best individual portfolio,
- best data journalism team (large newsroom),
- best data journalism team (small newsroom),
- innovation in data journalism,
- student and young data journalist of the year, and
- public choice.
Submissions must have been published or aired between March 26, 2018 and April 7, 2019 and must be in English. Entries in languages other than English must be accompanied by a translation of the work.
The winners will receive an all-expenses-covered trip to Athens, Greece, and attend the Global Editors Network Summit and Data Journalism Awards 2019 ceremony in June.
The deadline is April 7.