Media Development Center (MDC) is a non-profit, non-partisan organization established in 1998 to promote independent media in Bulgaria and to foster capacity-building of the media. The latter has been done by encouraging good practice in journalism, stimulating professional ethics, and institutionalizing dialogue among the state administration, the media and the NGO sector.
One of the aims of MDC has been to boost networking and cross-border cooperation of media professionals in the region of Southeast Europe. MDC has been developing and implementing media projects in Bulgaria and abroad.
MDC’s main areas of activity are:
- education and training for media professionals and journalism students in Bulgaria;
- professional training for journalists and media managers from Southeast Europe;
- training courses in language skills for the media;
- support for the development of the free media market;
- research, consultancy and information services on media and for the media;
- publication of media-related books and training materials;
- media events; conferences, round-tables, discussions.